I knew I also wanted to do a counting page in Nolan’s quiet book. When researching other quiet book pages awhile back I saw this pin on Pinterest and it really stuck with me, so I decided to do that one. Plus I have this gigantic bag of beads that I got a thrift store last year that desperately needs to be thinned out. Especially since I already have one of those plastic bead organizers that’s already completely full of beads.
The original page is an octopus (at least that’s what I’m assuming since it has 8 legs. I could be wrong). I decided to just go all the way to 10 instead so technically mine is a jellyfish. Or an octopus that’s the victim of some crazy genetic disorder; whichever you prefer.
This page was ridiculously simple. I would’ve finished it all in one nap session, but of course it figured that this was the day C decided to take only a 40 minute nap and just happened to wake up the moment I closed J’s door for her rest time. Literally. Man it’s irritating when their nap times don’t coincide! Especially when C is crabby after taking such a short nap. And then I get crabby. And that causes J to be crabby. And then Hubby gets home a few hours later and probably wishes that he was still at work. I desperately need that time to myself in the afternoons. When J is at preschool (excuse me, Pre-K, as she immediately corrects me. Every single time.) in the morning and C takes his first nap I do a quick 30 minute work out and then with my remaining time hurry to pick up the house or do some of the dinner prep or clean the bathrooms. Nap time, however, is my time. It’s how I keep my sanity.
Wow that was a major digression. Sorry about that.
Anyway. The page. So first I went through my felt box. I didn’t want to use fabric since the jellyfish was going to be curved and I didn’t want to have to worry about fraying. Which was a shame because I could’ve used some super cute fabric! I found the most interesting felt I had–glitter red. I laid the felt down on the muslim page and eyeballed how big I wanted him to be. I made sure to leave at least 2 inches free on each side so there would be plenty of room after sewing the pages together. Then I cut out a body shape similar to the pin I found that I was using for inspiration.
Next I went over to my ridiculous ribbon collection.
Super organized, isn’t it? That’s on my to-do list. Sigh.
I chose 2 ribbon types that have the little loops on the sides–yellow and blue. I cut 5 pieces of each color. Then I went through my bag o’ beads and picked 10 different colors. My OCD kicked in and I decided to make it a pattern. Will anyone ever notice? Probably not. But it made me feel better and that’s all that matters. I organized them a pattern and then pushed each bead onto the corresponding ribbon. I tied the bottom into approximately 6 knots to make sure there was no way they were coming off. Then I flipped the
octopus jellyfish over and laid the ribbon on the back.
As you can see when I cut the ribbon it was all different sizes. I lined the bottoms up as close as I could and pinned them down. It took several re-pins before I was satisfied. Which was a pain in the butt. And it wasn’t until I flipped it over and got ready to sew that I noticed they weren’t spaced out evenly (see 5 & 6 in the finished photo?). But I definitely didn’t care. Good enough for a 1 year old! I sewed across the jellyfish 2 times–I wanted to make sure there was no way Nolan could pull it off. I didn’t want to inadvertently kill the kid with his Christmas present.
Next I debated if I wanted to make a background or just leave the page plain. I thought about sewing down some blue fabric on the entire page to represent the ocean. And/or some seaweed. But I made the jellyfish pretty large and the bead strings were long so I decided it looked fine as it was. Plain was better in this case. But it did need something, so I went ahead and made a face. I kept it super simple and just sewed 2 pink felt circles for the cheeks and a large white felt mouth. I hot glued 2 googly eyes from J’s craft stash on there. Then I used some black puffy paint to make eyelashes. That part turned out a bit funky, but I still like it.
I pinned the jellyfish down and sewed her onto the page. Finally, I wrote the numbers in puffy paint above the corresponding bead string and voila, finished! I think she turned out pretty cute 🙂