More DIY Princess Decor!

While browsing online I found this absolutely adorable Disney princess footprint craft by Keeper of the Cheerios that I knew I had to recreate.  This princess obsession isn’t going away anytime soon and I figured it would be perfect to add to J’s bedroom wall.

Let me start off by saying that I am not artistic.  In the teeniest tiniest way.  As you’ll see for yourself, mine didn’t turn out nearly as well as Keeper of the Cheerios’ did.  J also asked for faces to be painted on and I told her absolutely not–they’d end up looking scary hahaha.  That being said, this was super easy.  Mine may not have turned out really awesome, but I’m still proud of them and think they look nice!  So if I can do it you definitely can!

I picked up a piece of white posterboard from Dollar Tree.  I wasn’t sure yet how I wanted the finished product to look, but I did know that I didn’t want to spend money on canvases.  Plus that would mean more holes in the wall, adding yet another strike against me from Hubby 😉  I already have a ton of acrylic paint so I went through my collection and wrote down any colors that I didn’t have.  Turned out all I needed was a skin tone and some more white.  I saved myself a ton of money by making the different shades of blue and pink and whatever else I needed by just mixing it with white.  Stroke of genius!

This is one of those projects that took me forever to complete.  J and I started it back in April, according to the timestamp on my first photo.  We just finished it up last week.  Whoops.  We made all of the footprints and then the posterboard sat on my craft desk collecting dust.  I just didn’t have any free time to complete it.  The footprints required J’s help, but “dressing” the princesses didn’t.  I had to work on it while C was napping (paint and C go hand-in-hand.  Actually I should say hand-in-mouth.) and either J wanted me to spend time with her or I had stupid chores like cooking and cleaning to accomplish instead.  Eventually I made time for it!

I pulled the original blog post up on my iPad and referred to it for each princess.  I painted J’s foot so it would match each princess, just eyeballing it.  Some of them we messed up and had to do more than once.  Then I handpainted the shoulders/necks/heads.


Three months later when I decided to finally finish the damn thing I added the hair, jewelry and embellishments.  Then I used a bunch of different pinking shears to cut around each princess, leaving a small white outline.  Here’s each princess!





















We didn’t do Mulan or Pocahontas, only because there wasn’t enough room to fit those two on the posterboard.  And since she doesn’t really like either of those two (I think Mulan spent too much time dressed as a boy and Pocahontas’s dress doesn’t cover her feet HAHA) I didn’t bother to pick up another piece just to add them.  At some point I might, especially since J is already talking that she wants to do each of the princes and each villain from the movies.  Oh my.

I hole punched each princess at the top and bottom (although I realized later that some of them I didn’t need to do in both places…oh well).  I had J divide the princesses into 3 piles and pick what order they would be hung up in.  Then I tied some red ribbon in each hole and made 3 strings of princesses.  I stuck 3 command hooks on her bedroom wall, looped the ribbon though and voila!  Easiest/cutest/cheapest princess decor ever!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *