All of the crap has to go somewhere…


Before J was born I asked Hubby to make me a toy box.  Although it took him much longer than it should have to actually make it, I was very pleased with the way it turned out.  He just hammered together a bunch of 2x4s, added a lid on a hinge and bam, done!  I painted it to match the nursery decor, yellow and blue.  We had a bunch of orange paint leftover from our living room wall so I painted the inside with bought the huge letters from Michaels.  Since the nursery theme was ducks and frogs, I collected any wooden ducks and frogs I could find from craft stores like Michaels, Joann’s and Ben Franklins.  

I decorated the top with glow in the dark

There are two things that I do not like about this toy box.  The major one is the lid.  It’s on a hinge and there isn’t any type of stopper.  This type of toy box is banned from being sold in the US in stores since kids can break their neck if the lid comes slamming down.  Hubby was supposed to find a way to stop it from coming down like that, but that was almost 5 years ago and he still hasn’t done it.  I really need to force him to do it because it makes me so nervous.  We solve the problem by keeping the lid down all the time.  Since it’s made out of solid wood, that lid is heavy; there’s no way the kids can open it on their own.

The second issue is how I attached the PLAY letters and the ducks and frogs.  I just used regular wood glue.  I don’t know if it’s because it doesn’t adhere well to the paint or if the brand I bought just sucks, but almost all of those suckers have since fallen off.  The toy box now says “P  A  “.  Of course our constant moves don’t help.  I think if it had been sitting in the corner for the last 5 years they would all still be attached.

When Hubby got back from his second deployment I asked for a second toy box.  J was about a year and a half old and the basket we were using the living room just wasn’t cutting it anymore.  We had toys coming out our @sses.  So, he built another one.

This time I asked him to not attach the lid at all.  Not only do I no longer have to worry about our children having their necks broken while finding a toy, but it now allows for overflow, haha.  Win!diy-toy-box-1-

I went with a beach theme for this one.  I used beige and teal paint for the outside, and then painted the inside dark blue and teal.  I picked up a ton of wooden beach pieces from craft stores.  Since this toy box was made before we started moving and I realized that wood glue was not the way to go, I attached everything the same way.  As you can see, the pieces on this one fell off at a much faster rate.  The entire bottom panel was originally covered with beach items.  And the letters never attached well to begin with (I think because they’re so much larger and heavier than the last set).  Hubby had to screw those suckers on there.

This one is a lot bigger than the last one as well.  Which we need.  I recently went through an organization flurry and am rotating toys each month so there’s plenty of room now, but before this sucker was always at full capacity.  It was impossible to find anything.

Because it was so much bigger I decided to paint some play-related quotes on it.  Since this was way before I ever even heard of a Silhouette, I stenciled everything on the old fashioned way:  actual stencils.  I picked up a sheet of letters from Michaels, took a pencil and traced each individual letter on the box.  Time consuming, but I like the way it turned out.
diy-toy-box-1-side diy-toy-box-1-side-2 diy-toy-box-1-top

So that’s it!  Our lifesaving toy boxes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *