Super easy one: bead counting.I got the idea from here. I have a huge thing of beads so this was a great way to use them up. I also added her name since I have a bunch of letter beads as well. I don’t think she ever really played with it, but I can’t remember for sure. Either way she’s been past that one for quite awhile now. It’ll go into C’s book for sure.
Money page next. Another one of my favorites!! Once again it’s easy to tell that I used this blog for my inspiration, haha. I really didn’t have any creativity when making this first book! Although I did add something completely different that I didn’t see anywhere else: the money sorting pockets at the bottom. The downside to those, however, is that the money doesn’t actually stay in there. Yet another time when I should’ve used velcro or snaps or something. Fortunately it can be stored in the pig instead. I also should have reinforced the slot where the money goes in. Like by making it an actual buttonhole!
This is another one that J never really played with and once again I’m not sure why. I think that I’ll just move it over into a new quiet book for her though. She’ll start understanding money a lot more in the next couple of years and this would be a great learning tool! I just need to see if I can hot glue some velcro to the money pockets.
This one makes me shudder every time I look at it. Great idea in theory but the end result just didn’t turn out well. A Walk the Dog page.
I used this post for the idea but made my dog a bit differently, opting for his whole body instead of just his head. I picked up the leash and collar from the dollar store. I sewed the collar down so it could still open and close but couldn’t be taken off the whole way. I trimmed the leash waaaaay down, made a loop for the handle and added velcro to attach it to the page.
This is another one that I don’t think J ever used. It’s also going in the garbage just because I can’t stand the way it turned out. I made one for Nolan’s quiet book, modeled to look like their dog Stetson. I think it turned out much better and would make something similar to go into C’s book. You can read all about how I made that page here.
Next up: Goodnight House! Another one that I really like. Finally, a completely original idea! I thought it would be really cute to have a page where she could put everyone in the family “to bed”. I printed off our heads and attached them to cardstock bodies. I printed off something similar to our pjs and pasted them on top. Then I laminated the whole thing. This is before I got my super cool laminator and was just using those sheets you can buy and just stick together yourself. Hence why they look a bit funny. I then glued them onto popsicle sticks.
I cut out 6 rectangles in different fabrics for our beds, folded the raw edges in, sewed the top down and then attached them to the house. For the house I sewed on a white fabric square and red fabric triangle (obviously my measuring skills were a bit off since the roof is smaller than the house LOL!). I added a moon and done! Unfortunately the popsicle sticks never stayed in very well. The pockets need to be deeper and wider (in order to fit our fat heads). Either that or they need to be stored in a separate pocket somewhere. I could probably add a zipper to one of the sides of the house for storage. I don’t actually have to redo this page yet (since we’ll have three kids but only two dogs so the number of beds is good. One of us will just have to sleep in the dog print blanket 😉 ), but I do need to update/fix the people. Poor C doesn’t have a head since he wasn’t even born when I made this page, haha!
Okay, check out Part Four next week for the final installment!