Don’t judge me on the quality of these pages. I made this book for J about 3 years ago and although my quiet book sewing skills may not be extraordinary and amazing now, they’re definitely a lot better than when I started out. I love the idea behind most of these pages…just not the application, haha. You can check out some of the other pages in Part One.
The Seasons page. This one is actually one of my favorites. J never really got into it, although I don’t know if it’s just because she was too young or there were too many pieces or what. But I absolutely love this page. This post and this post were my main inspirations for this page. I made the grass into a pocket but didn’t put anything across it to keep the stuff in, so I ended up shoving it all into the pocket on the back cover, which has velcro on it. Fortunately I managed not to lose any pieces! (The “spring” and “summer” labels were just never finished in general, haha).Remember in Nolan’s ladybug quiet book page I said I had a bunch of snaps leftover from a previous project? The project that made me cry several times because I kept on hand sewing the snaps on incorrectly? Well this is the one. I used 4 different sizes of snaps. For the first size I made a snow cloud, a rain cloud and a regular cloud. The second size were a sun and a moon. The third size were the things that went onto the tree: spring flowers, summer leaves, fall leaves and snow. And the last size was the name of the season. That way she couldn’t snap the leaves in the sky or anything like that. Maybe that’s part of what made it so confusing for her? Although I really do think she never played with it just because there were so many pieces it made it hard to do in the car. And she just didn’t understand/care enough about the idea behind it. Either way I’m keeping this one for a future book just because of all of the effort that went into it!
The next one never ever got played with. It’s going straight into the trash. It’s a combined hair and face page.I was going for something like this. I don’t know what happened, but mine just didn’t turn out very nicely. I don’t know if it’s because the head’s too small or the hair too long or if the face pieces I made were just creepy looking. Regardless, J never played with this page, either with the hair or the Make a Face pieces. I think it’s hilarious that even though she never played with it, almost all of the pieces are missing. How did that even happen?? Definitely the garbage for this one!
Dress-up closet. It’s easy to tell that I used this blog and this blog for inspiration here! I wanted to put two people on there instead of just one, so I used Serving Pink Lemonade’s template for the size instead. I also used this blog to make a few princess dresses.
I remember when I was making this page that I cut out two tan people, but when I went to sew them on I could only find one. By that point I was out of skin tone felt, so I cut one out of dark brown instead. And wouldn’t you know it, as soon as I sewed both of them down I found the missing person. So I just shoved it in the closet with the rest of the clothes so she had a third person to dress. Looking at the picture I can tell that some of the clothing is missing. There used to be a full firefighter outfit (she was obsessed with firefighters for the longest time), along with a couple of princess dresses and some shoes.
That’s another one that I’ll just get rid of. She has another dress-up page in the ABC quiet book that’s just one big person and she plays with that one a lot more. Of course that’s probably because it’s filed under the letter Q for Queen, so it’s only princess dresses and witch outfits, haha. But the fabric I used on the closet wasn’t a good one and it’s fraying like crazy so you can only unzip it about 3/4 of the way now. Now she did play with this one quite a bit, but I don’t see C being too into it in the future. He’s more of a truck and train guy.
Next up: laundry day! This is another one of my favorite pages. Even if there are only 3 socks left, and none of them match hahahaha! I had two websites listed for inspiration, but only one of the links still works, this one. This is the one that I followed the directions to make the washer, but not the clothesline. I really liked the idea I saw somewhere else of making a clothesline with mini clothespins for the socks to hang up on, so that’s what I did. J played with this one a decent amount. And fortunately it’s one that I don’t really have to do anything to in order to keep it…minus cutting out some more socks haha!
Another easy page: match the colors. Here’s my inspiration post. This is another one that I had two websites listed, but only one link currently works. I liked the idea of doing balloons and shapes, so I decided to combine them. This page ended up being a bit confusing for J because some of the ribbons didn’t quite match up with the felt colors. Like the best I could do for light brown was that blue ribbon with a dark brown stripe (in the bottom photo it’s the one with the red heart on it). I think it confused her since some of the shades were different. Hmmm, maybe my child isn’t the smartest on the block… Just kidding!