The next quiet book page I made for Nolan’s Christmas present was the Ladybug page. It’s a super simple page that’s also very popular–it’s all over the internet. I decided to do one similar to this one, with a black zipper and snaps sewn on the backs of the spots.
I started off by cutting all of my pieces. I have a ton of red costume fabric leftover from J’s Snow White Cape that I made for her last Halloween. It’s not the most ideal fabric to work with, but it’s the only thing I had in plain red so it would have to do. I cut out two half circles. I cut another half circle out of a scrap of regular black cotton for the head and then seven circles from black felt for the spots. I decided on 7 because I have a package of assorted sized snaps from a previous project and 7 was the most I had in the same size. I figured it’d be too confusing if the snaps were different sizes.I just eyeballed all of the pieces and I think the sizing actually turned out pretty well. That definitely could’ve gone another way, hahaha!
I started off by hand sewing the snaps onto the red fabric and black felt dots.
I absolutely despise hand sewing. I was tempted to just use velcro instead, but I know it’s good for kids to learn the snaps–it helps with fine motor skills. And I really hate using snaps. The previous project I used them on was a Seasons page for J’s quiet book and I sewed a crapload of them on before I realized that I did them backwards–I put the bottom piece on the top and vice versa. And then if I remember correctly (it was so traumatizing for me that I think I blocked it out) I sewed them on the wrong way on the Seasons pieces; instead of poking that part that sticks out into the fabric, I sewed it facing out. Goosebumps just remembering that. I think there were quite a few tears shed those days…
On the plus side that meant that I double-checked everything before I sewed it down. And again after I sewed it down. And again before I did the next snap. Etc. And I’m happy to say that I learned my lesson really well last time and I had zero problems with it this time! Minus it being boring and time-consuming, of course.
I picked up a 7 inch black zipper from Joann’s and sewed it on. I used my cheating method, as always. I simply fold the raw edge of the fabric in about 1/4 inch and sew it as close as I can to the zipper. Then repeat for the other side.Next I figured out where exactly I wanted the ladybug to go and sewed the black head down. Since I was using fabric and not felt, I made sure use a zigzag stitch instead of a straight stitch to help with the fraying. I sewed it along the bottom and around the curve. Then the ladybug, once again with a zigzag stitch. I added some googly eyes and twisted a pipe cleaner around my finger for antenna. I hot glued them down. And that’s it! The dots are kept inside of the ladybug when not in use and then snap on to make her look beautiful. Easy peasy!