For my final quiet book page for Nolan’s Christmas present I decided to go with a Wheels on the Bus idea. I have a Busy Bag that I made for J about 3 years ago and I wanted to go with a similar idea for Nolan, except in his quiet book. All I did for the Busy Bag is cut out a bus from cardboard, design a bus in my Silhouette, print it off and glue it on and then glued strips of velcro on the windows. Then I cut out pictures of family and friends and glued velcro on the backs. Voila, now she could have friends and family members ride the bus!She absolutely loved it. So much so that it’s now falling apart. A lot of the family members are missing, some of the velcro has peeled off of the backs of the pictures that we do have left and the bus itself is starting to come apart. C is just about old enough to start playing with it himself so I’m going to update it here soon. You can read more about the Busy Bag Bus here!
I googled and Pinterested (is that a word? If it’s not already I’m sure it won’t be much longer until it is!) Wheels on the Bus quiet book pages but never really found anything that I liked. The closest I found was this page to at least help me design the bus. And although I thought the finger puppet idea was cute, Nolan already had farm animal finger puppets in his Barn page so I felt that would be redundant. Plus I really liked the idea of using photographs of friends and family.
I started by making the bus in my Silhouette program. I used the machine to cut my pieces out I had a brilliant idea for storing the pictures when not in use. I would make a road on the bottom of the page for the bus to drive on and then sew a yellow zipper in the middle as the “line”! Two birds, one stone: a pocket and it adds detail to the page! I bought a 9 inch zipper from Joann’s and got to work on the background. I sewed some blue fabric that I always use for the sky in quiet book pages (I’m finally starting to get a little low!) on the top two thirds of the page. Then I cut out a rectangle of grey denim for the road. I made it a bit longer than my page and cut it so it covered about the bottom third. Then I cut a (not-very-straight) line across the middle for the zipper to go into. If you look closely you can see that I didn’t cut it into two separate pieces–there was no need since my road was bigger than my page.I slipped the zipper in the opening and sewed it on by folding the raw edges of each side in about 1/4 inch on top of the zipper and stitching it down as close to the zipper as possible. As you can see it’s not straight at all (my M.O.) so I remedied that as much as I could when I sewed it onto the background. To sew it on I folded the top edge about 1/4 inch down to hide the raw edge. I didn’t bother doing that for the sides or bottom since they would be hidden when I sewed the pages together.Then I sewed all of the pieces onto my bus: the black lines, the bumper, the stop sign and the lights. I placed it where I wanted it to go on the page, but didn’t sew it down yet; first I needed the velcro. I cut a strip of the soft side of yellow velcro the size of each of my bus windows and sewed them on. I laid my bus on top to make sure the spacing was right and sewed it down.See that giant hole? After the machine cut my bus out I couldn’t figure out why there was so much wasted space in between the driver’s window and the rest of the bus. So I cut it out so more people could fit on the bus at the same time. And then after I did that I realized why there was so much space there–for the doors!!! Whoops! I did a quick fix by sewing the scrap of yellow I cut off back onto the bus, and then the doors on top of that to hide it a bit (making sure to only sew the far side of each door down so they “open” and “close”. I added another piece of yellow velcro there so someone could be “getting on the bus”.Originally I wanted the wheels to be able to spin, but that already happens on Nolan’s Fork Lift page so I decided I didn’t care that much for this one. I found two matching white buttons and placed one in the “center” of each tire and then quickly hand sewed those through the tires and onto the page itself. They wiggle back and forth, but don’t actually spin the whole way around, which is good enough for me. And Nolan I’m sure. As you can see I didn’t do a great job of making sure the buttons were centered. It drives me crazy looking at it!!!
Then I had Amanda email me pictures of friends and family. I made them all the same size (about 1.5 x 1 inches), printed them off, laminated them, glued squares of scratchy yellow velcro on the back and voila! Finished with Nolan’s Christmas present!